Artificer Made is now a Blog!

That's right. It seems that the things I make and sell are a little difficult to explain sometimes with the tools that ETSY provides. But by all means please go see what I'm selling at my ETSY store Artificer Made.

That is to say, that much of what I create exists within a context that is not always apparent at first blush. That is the nature of creating ... well ... oddities and frivolities I suppose. Things that exist to satisfy the demands of a fictitious reality are just going to need more introduction.

So here's what we're going to do. The current artificers will post as often as we can about what we are building, how we are building it, and ... when it matters ... why we are building it.

I will be producing some tutorial videos whenever a good subject comes up. Feel free to send me suggestions, or questions whenever they arise.

Last but not least, we will be giving shit away. Once we have a few dedicated fans I plan on running a weekly promotion. It could be a straight up give-a-way. It could be a contest. But there will always be an interesting prize.

The prizes will be in the tradition of the fiasco artifica, abject and ruinous failure. Whenever a project fails miserably there is usually something interesting left amid the wreckage. Perhaps some bit of metal or glass that could be used as a decoration or jewelry. I don't know. I don't care. If I could have used it for something I would have so it's up to you. I have all manner of things here I can't use but are still too cool to melt for scrap.

Anyway, there's my welcome message, I hope you enjoy the show.

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Free Goggles! Anyone? Anyone? Bueller...?

I have a pair of goggles that I just want to be rid of.

I was trying out a few new techniques and most of them didn't go like I wanted. The still look pretty cool, and they are built as tough as anything I normally make.

They don't feel right on the face. And the bridge is ugly. I didn't finish it out with hardware (nuts and bolts etc) so you'll have a little work to do there. The strap is homely.

Wow, these are just shit. You should be offended that I would even offer them. Actually ... like I said, they look pretty cool. The bridge is made from a pipe hanger. It's copper plated steel that has been shaped to this purpose then secured to the lens retainers with hand formed rivets (no pop rivets or press rivets ever). The bridge has a threaded hole in it that accessories could be mounted to (targeting reticles, magnifiers, filters and such).

The oculars are formed from copper pipe that has been cut to follow the contour of the face. The front edge has been hammered out to form a flange for the lens retainers to attach to. Kind of like the old steam fittings. Where the copper meets the face I have attempted a leather pad of sorts. I'm not a leather guy. It's alright, just not the kind of awesome I would think to sell.

The swivels for the strap are secured with hammered rivets and hand formed out of copper sheet. The strap itself is leather. Some kind of suede.

Lenses are your basic welding goggle polycarbonate.

What do I want you to do? Well you'll pay for shipping... and ... I expect feedback.



To get them you need to send me a convo on etsy. They go to the first qualified candidate.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment